AAEE HDR Symposium
The AAEE Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Symposium in Engineering Education Research offers an opportunity for Masters by Research and PhD candidates to explore and develop their research projects under the guidance of well-known senior scholars. Established in 2020, the broad aims of the HDR Symposium are to provide HDR candidates in Australasia an opportunity to share their current dissertation work, increase the diversity of feedback available to HDR scholars on their work by matching with scholars outside the candidates home institution, and provide an opportunity to build peer networks.
The 2021 AAEE HDR Symposium will be held online via Zoom on Thursday 2nd and Friday 3rd December 9:30am – 12pm AWST.
Applications are now open. We invite Masters by Research and PhD Candidates to join us for two exciting half-day workshops led by Prof. Les Dawes (Queensland University of Technology) and Prof. Olivera Marjanovic (University of Technology Sydney) prior to the 2021 Research in Engineering Education Symposium and Australasian Association for Engineering Education (REES-AAEE) Conference.
During the 2021 HDR Symposium, participants will:
- Discuss their current dissertation work with a small group,
- Receive individualised feedback and input on their work from a mentor scholar from outside their own institution as well as HDR peers,
- Constructively discuss and provide feedback on the work of HDR peers in their small group,
- Hear from a diverse panel of near-peers (Early Career Researchers) on topics relating to engineering education research and the HDR experience (new in 2021),
- Reflect on and share key learning, considering next steps of action, as well as,
- Network with other participants and expert mentors.
We welcome both new and returning participants who are at any stage of their candidature. Returning participants will be allocated new mentors, and we will endeavour to also ensure diversity in group make up from previous iterations. Candidates should be undertaking research in a field outlined by the aims and scope of the Australasian Journal of Engineering Education or the 2021 REES-AAEE Conference.
Applications require submitting the expression of interest document to this Google Form along with some details about the applicant and their enrolment status. Decisions for applications submitted before the 13 September 2021 will be returned on 13 September 2021 in line with REES-AAEE 2021 full paper and workshop decisions. Applications will be also be accepted on a rolling basis until 30 September 2021 with decisions to applications by 04 October 2021.
Please note: Accepted participants will be required to prepare a summary slide of their work for facilitated group discussions (further details provided to those accepted) and register for the main REES-AAEE 2021 conference (both face to face and virtual registration accepted).