The Australasian Association for Engineering Education, AAEE (often spoken as A squared, E squared), is a professional association of academics, support staff, postgraduate students, librarians, professional engineers and employers who all have vested interest in fostering excellence and innovation in engineering education. A technical society of Engineers Australia, AAEE is governed by an elected executive committee that guides the direction of AAEE and undertake the day-to-day operations of the Association. The executive also includes representatives of the aligned bodies Engineers Australia, Engineering New Zealand and the Australian Council of Engineering Deans (ACED). AAEE has it’s own journal, the Australasian Journal of Engineering Education, that presents work that is at the forefront of engineering education internationally.
AAEE aims to improve the quality, relevance and performance of engineering education in Australasia through various events, conferences, awards and professional development opportunities. Each year in December there is an annual conference where members, non-members and those with an interest in engineering education can come together to disseminate and learn about engineering education research and practice. The annual awards evening is held as part of the conference dinner, celebrating and recognising contributions to engineering education through activities, research design and stakeholder engagement. Here, Citations for Outstanding Early Career Contributions to Engineering Education are also awarded recognising and rewarding the diverse contributions made by individuals to the quality of engineering student learning and teaching at the early stages of their career. Satellite events and networking evenings are held throughout the year also provide a local opportunity for similar purposes to the conference.
Winter School, a flagship professional development course offered by AAEE annually in June/July in Australia, is an immersive experience that brings together engineering education researchers to learn about many elements that go into designing and undertaking effective education research projects as well as evaluation of teaching and curriculum. In 2020 AAEE is taking Winter School on the road to New Zealand, with an offering in February dubbed Summer School. The AAEE Academy of Early Career Engineering Educators (AECEE), more commonly called The Academy, was founded in 2017 to provide an innovative leadership and mentoring program for early career education focused academics.
The general mission of AAEE is to improve the quality, relevance and performance of engineering education in Australasia. More specifically, the objectives of the Association are to:
- Quantify and make more visible within Australasia the increasing need for specific advanced engineering skills.
- Increase the participation rates of high school leavers in engineering education and training, especially of women and non-traditional sources of students.
- Promote the development and use of new teaching techniques and tools and promote measurement of teaching effectiveness.
- Provide assistance to the engineering educators, especially to the new members of the teaching staff.
- Promote the professional development of engineering educators.
- Make the Association the focal point for information on all aspects of engineering education within Australasia.
- Develop co-sponsorship of the Association by other engineering professional institutions and associations in Australasia.
- Develop global links with similarly minded organisations in other countries.
To find out more about AAEE’s activities click the following buttons or use the navigation bar at the top of the page.